Sunday 8 July 2007

St. Michael's Mount Series - Photo 6a & 6b


Taken from up on the castle, is a picture of the exotic garden clinging to a near-vertical granite rock face above the sea. However the warm Gulf Stream along with the heat-retentive granite walls and bedrock, enable a wide variety of tender and exotic plants to be grown in the South-facing gardens. It has walks and terraces planted with windswept but often subtropical plants.

The gardens range from sweeping avenues to the formal terraced gardens first planted in the 1780s.

The gardens are such a breathtaking view, I decided to post 2 photos!
I'd like to share a quote from one of my favorite authors, Charles Dickens, "The rich, sweet smell of the hayricks rose to his chamber window; the hundred perfumes of the little flower-garden beneath scented the air around; the deep-green meadows shone in the morning dew that glistened on every leaf as it trembled in the gentle air: and the birds sang as if every sparkling drop were a fountain of inspiration to them."
~ The Pickwick Papers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I visit the island from time to time. My lady friends and I love going over to the restaurant and have lunch or cream teas on an afternoon. Your photos are excellent and the views of the garden are unique! I really like them.

Joan